Tuesday 25 July 2017

Summer Holidays Diary Day 9- 'we all need friends'


Day 9-

This morning it was my youngest daughters school leavers assembly, and my 19 year old niece was due to come and look after my son for an hour or so, so my hubby and I could both go to watch it together which is a rarity indeed.

But unfortunately at the last minute she got called into work

So I tried various family members to see if anyone could help me out at short notice. No one could this time, and my daughter was in tears as she wanted us to both to be there as it was understandably a big deal for her.

So I contacted one of my close friends (who has a busy life herself) cap in hand asking her if she could help me out this morning. I really don't like having to put on people and felt awful having to ask her, but I did beacuse i couldn't let my daughter down.

And with no hesitation at all...she said of course!

It brought a tear to my eye, and my daughter cheered with the news.

It made me realise that everyone needs help from their nearest and dearest sometimes. We can't do this alone, all of the time!

There was me feeling awful for asking her, but she often tells me that she wishes she could help more but never knows how to ....so she was actually glad I asked her and was happy to help out in any way she could.

I'm very lucky to have such amazing friends and family around me that I can turn to in times like this.
Lovely folks who accept the dishes in the sink and the laundry all over the kitchen table without passing judgement, just rolling up their sleeves and queitly doing the dishes for me!

Offering to nip to the shops for me when my cupboards are bare and I can't get out of the house.
Folks who are a little nervous of what to do with my son, but offer to have a go anyway.
Folks who get my situation, don't put pressure on me when I have to cancel at the last minute or sneak off to answer my sons text message on a night out.

Folks that check in with me weekly with texts letting me know that despite the fact that they don't see me often they are thinking of me and want to help however they can.

Those that haven't 'got it' never seem to last that long and drift away in the end .... That's something you learn to accept in time it just makes me more determined keep the ones that have stuck around for the ride so far!

So in the end my daughters assembly was emotional and full of tears as she prepares to move onto the next chapter of her life at high school, but I'm so thankful to my lovely friend that I was able to go to share the moment with her.

These things have a habit of teaching me lessons that I didnt always anticipate.

I need to try not to be so proud and ask for help when I really need it. No man is an island as they say!

And I must try to appreciate the lovely friends and family that I am lucky enough to have in my life, and also the online friends on this page that pass no judgement and share the same experiences making this journey feel less scary to share!

So thanks you each and everyone of you, you know who you are
Mrs M 💕

No comments:

Post a Comment